Website Florida Polytechnic University
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged.
Chief of Police
Job Description Summary
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the administrative direction of the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, the Chief of Police provides leadership to the University Police Department to ensure effective and efficient police, safety, and security services are provided to all campus locations. The Chief performs work of considerable difficulty in planning, organizing, directing, staffing and evaluating the administrative and operational activities of the University Police Department.
- Budget & Planning: Oversees the planning, budgeting, organizing, and execution of activities for the department. Monitors and evaluates expenditures and recommends budget strategies and actions.
- : Ensures compliance with all applicable Federal, state and local laws and ordinances, regulatory agencies regulations and rules and all University regulations, policies and procedures.
- Department Management: Directs all operations of the University Police Department by organizing, directing, staffing, and evaluating the administrative and operational activities of that department. Develops work schedules for personnel designed to provide optimum work force and resource utilization on a 7 day, 24 hour basis. Manages investigation activities to assure maximum utilization of investigation personnel, resources and techniques.
- Personnel Management: Supervises and develops staff to continue to provide effective, smooth daily operations, outstanding customer service and to meet the changing needs of the University. Maintains day-to-day leadership of staff and assign work- related activities, projects, and programs; reviews and evaluates work process, methods and procedures of all department and contract personnel. Participates in the selection and promotion of the department’s personnel by reviewing employee performance. Analyzes employee performance problems and determines the disciplinary action to be taken. Provides direction and guidance to department-related committees, task forces, and special project teams.
- Police Duties: Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Professional Development: Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- University Representative: Maintains effective communication with police administration and personnel within the University community, and with other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies through personal contact, correspondence and attendance at meetings. Serves as liaison between the university and other state or federal agencies/departments and other organizations on matters of Public, Environmental and Health Safety Issues. Agencies to include; Public Health, EPA, FBI, Fire Rescue and HAZMAT, County Emergency Operations Center, FEMA, and FDLE. Serves on State and local law enforcement committees, as necessary and appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of organizational and management policies, principles, practices and techniques and skill in applying them.
- Knowledge of law enforcement policies, principles, practices and techniques in a University environment.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of and experience in budget theory, formulation of budgets and budgetary control.
- Knowledge of the capacities of available state-of-the-art computerization affecting law enforcement activities and the skill to utilize management reports.
- Skill in planning, staffing, organizing, directing and evaluating a law enforcement organization, motivating staff and in the development of personnel.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective professional working relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Science or a related field, plus ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in law enforcement, including five (5) years as a manager in a police or other law enforcement organization. Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities achieved may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in community-based law enforcement.
- FBI Academy, Southern Police Institute (SPI), or an equivalent command officer course equal to the listed
- Master’s degree in Criminal Justice, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Science or a related field, plus eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in law enforcement, including five (4) years as a manager in a police or other law enforcement organization.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. However, this position is an essential employee of the University, as defined by Florida Statute, and as such will be available when required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: June 10, 2019.
APPLICATION PROCESS: In addition to completing the online application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
- Cover Letter
- List of at least three (3) professional references (names and contact information)
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.
To apply for this job please visit flpoly.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.