Website City of Lakeland
This is skilled work in road and sewer maintenance and repair. Employees in this classification receive specific instructions pertaining to programming, desired results, and work procedures that are carried out under general supervision. Immediate supervisor reviews work for results obtained through periodic inspections and reports.
This posting will close after the receipt of the first 10 qualified applicants or 2 weeks, whichever comes first.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Assists crew members assigned certain construction and maintenance activities including, but not limited to, road patching and maintenance of ditches, storm sewers, sanitary sewer facilities and road right-of-ways.
- Assists in the work of a crew setting forms, pouring and finishing cement for the construction and repair of curbs, gutters, cross-gutters and sidewalks.
- Assists in fabricating construction forms; pouring and finishing concrete; constructing, maintaining and repairing curbs, gutters, driveway aprons, sidewalks, drainage facilities, sanitary sewer facilities and other projects, as required.
- Assists building manholes and catch basins; lays brick; sets manhole covers.
- Assists in operating power equipment related to work such as concrete truck, concrete saw, air compressor, concrete finishing tools and other necessary equipment.
- Oversees and assists in loading and unloading trucks, breaks up concrete and pavement.
- Drives trucks, runs bobcat, loader, and backhoe to facilitate work to be completed.
- May assist Crew Leader with personnel assignments.
- Performs related work as required.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE):
- High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience in construction, concrete finishing, pipe laying, and / or maintenance and repair of public works facilities.
- Must be able to pass and maintain training in: Traffic Control, Trenching and Shoring and Confined Space. (C&M Division)
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida driver’s license. Must be able to obtain Class “A” or “B” CDL with appropriate endorsements as are required by the employing department within six (6) months of employment. Preference will be given to applicants who currently possess a valid state of Florida class “A” or “B” commercial driver’s license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, material and practices used in roadway, bridge, sidewalk, storm sewer and sanitary sewer facilities construction, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of asphalt roadway repair and/or concrete finishing techniques.
- Knowledge of the applicable work safety rules and procedures.
- Skill in the use of construction trade tools and equipment.
- Ability to safely operate power hand tools, light equipment and trucks.
- Ability to read and interpret simple sketches and construction drawings.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates supervisors and the public.
- Ability to perform manual work under adverse weather condition for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform manual, semi-skilled and skilled tasks.
- Requires working in extreme weather condition. Walking or standing the majority of the time. Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds.
- Requires working in confined spaces, high traffic areas and deep trenches.
- The job risks exposures to high-pressure gas lines, underground high voltage electrical lines, high-pressure gas lines and hazardous environments.
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.