Purpose of this Role:
All Lowe’s associates deliver quality customer service while maintaining a store that is clean, safe, and stocked with the products our customers need. As a Head Cashier, this means:
- Delivering a checkout experience that is quick, professional, and friendly.
- Ensuring merchandise is accurately scanned and meets the needs of the customer.
- Engaging in safe work practices and encouraging others to do the same.
The Head Cashier is responsible for providing excellent customer service during the checkout process. This associate is likely the last interaction with our customer before leaving the store and needs to ensure the customer is satisfied and encouraged to come back to Lowe’s. Therefore, engaging with customers as well as attention to detail are extremely important in this role. As Head Cashier, he/she provides supervision, coaching, and support to the Customer Service Associate – Front End Team. Depending on the specific work shift, this associate may also help open or close the front-end of the store.
- Provides SMART customer service at all times through the daily execution of Lowe’s customer service policies, procedures and programs.
- Seeks out customers to understand his/her needs and assists in locating, demonstrating, selecting, carrying, and/or loading merchandise.
- Listens to and responds knowledgeably and promptly to customer and employee questions by taking them to areas of the store and walking them through projects when necessary.
- Demonstrates sincere appreciation to customers.
- Communicates information to customers regarding all stock, special order merchandise, feature benefits, application, and warranty information related to Lowe’s programs.
- Coaches, develops, provides feedback, and trains associates in the various departmental duties or sales opportunities.
- Uses a cash register to process sales transactions, returns, and refunds according to company guidelines.
- Provides proper monetary change to CSA Front End associates for register activities.
- Provides supervision, coaching, and support to CSA Front End Team (Front End/Loaders).
- Removes security tags, verifies product information, and bags merchandise for customers.
- Answers incoming phone calls and directs calls or takes messages as needed.
- Opens additional registers, when necessary, to ensure enough coverage always.
- Assists in line vesting to help quicker turnaround time for checkout.
- Prepares register area at the beginning and end of shift by confirming functionality of registers and scanners and stocking register supplies.
- Inspects returned merchandise for damages.
- Enters and submits customer orders, prints order tickets, verifies receipts, and signs off on loading tickets.
- Reviews and places online orders and returned merchandise in the appropriate areas.
- Looks up product information and competitor prices for products to verify price match.
- Records all items that are used in the store on the store use lists.
Clean and Safe Stores
- Obtains safety bags from the cash office and monitors the amount of cash in the drawers to ensure it does not exceed requirements.
- Monitors merchandise entering and leaving the store entrances and exits and assists customers or associates who trigger the alarm.
- Detects common signs of shoplifting, theft, and other security risks, and promptly communicates them to management and/or Asset Protection.
- Ensures compliance with housekeeping standards and programs (e.g., Zone Recovery) to maintain cleanliness and organization of store and working areas.
- Maintains a safe and secure work environment, which may include conducting daily safety reviews, noting hazards, keeping aisles clear, and securing doors and gates.
- Adheres to all safety requirements relevant to one’s regular job duties: top stock safety, reinstalling safety cables, use of aisle blockers, a tether line on power equipment, spotters, and safety devices.
- Operates store equipment as needed depending on one specific role and department (e.g., Zebra phone, telephone, paging system, copiers, fax machines, computers, CCTV surveillance system, key cutter, panel saw, paint mixer, flooring cutters, compacter baler).
In addition to the above responsibilities, this individual is held accountable for other duties as assigned.
- 6 months of experience using a computer, including inputting, accessing, modifying, or outputting information.
- 6 months of experience using a handheld device (e.g., mobile phone, LRT gun, palm pilot, tablet, iPod) to enter, access, and output information.
- 1 year of experience identifying and selling products based on customer needs, including credit cards, installations, add-on sales, protection plans, and explaining warranties, product features, and benefits.
- 1 year of retail experience.
- 1 year of experience as a head cashier.
- 6 months experience working in any department at a Lowe’s retail store.
- 1 year of supervisory experience in any field, including directing, delegating, evaluating, training, and coaching employees.
- 6 months of retail experience detecting common signs of shoplifting (e.g., merchandise hidden inside of containers, merchandise under carts, price labels switched).
- 1 year of retail experience as a cashier.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lowes.com.