Purpose of Role
All Lowe’s associates deliver quality customer service while maintaining a store that is clean, safe, and stocked with the products our customers need. As a Sales Floor Department (Dept) Supervisor, this means:
- Providing resources and tools to support those directly helping customers provide the best service.
- Assisting with down stocking and area recovery as well as providing input into merchandising decisions.
- Monitoring use of store power equipment and coaching employees on safe behaviors and lifting techniques.
The Sales Floor Dept Supervisor is primarily responsible for leading and enabling a team of associates to deliver the best possible customer experience in the store. This includes coaching and training associates, delegating, following-up on daily tasks, managing performance, and ensuring adequate department coverage. Sales Floor Dept Supervisors are responsible for customer-facing activities (e.g., greeting customers, clarifying needs and identifying solutions, closing sales), non-customer-facing activities (e.g., down stocking, inventory management, area recovery) and store safety (e.g., conducting safety walks, reporting hazards, understanding safety and lifting directions).
The Sales Floor Dept Supervisor works with ASMs to identify approaches and behaviors that best meet sales and service objectives, then communicates those best practices to the team in a way that inspires engaging, customer-focused behavior and goal attainment. Further, the Sales Floor Dept Supervisor must supervise associates in other departments, as needed, to meet the demands of the store.
In addition to the responsibilities summarized above, individuals in this role may occasionally open or close the store or serve as manager-on-duty (MOD).
- Assigns team members to activities, ensuring staff coverage meets customer demands and redeploying when necessary to support needs throughout the department.
- Provides open and timely feedback and performance coaching to members of team, redirecting any problematic or ineffective behavior when necessary.
- Encourages team to share ideas and best practices for delivering outstanding customer service and accomplishing important support activities.
- Empowers others to make decisions while providing guidance when necessary.
- Fosters an environment of associate growth and development, ensuring associates are confident and competent to perform their job through coaching and regular performance feedback.
- Identifies any associate relations concerns and takes the appropriate action as needed, including elevating concerns to senior management or HR
- Ensures that areas of responsibility are always customer ready with full shelves and aisles that are clean and safe for shopping; includes down stocking, area recovery, and inventory management.
- Provides input into merchandising decisions to store senior leadership team to ensure the store carries the right products for the local market.
- Provides direction and models sales and SMART behaviors in a way that creates a customer-centric shopping environment.
- Instills in his/her team the importance of being engaging and approachable to customers.
- Ensures Order Management items are current and complete, retrieving relevant information and following up with associates when necessary.
- Ensures sales areas are clean, well-organized, and representative of the Lowe’s brand.
- Anticipates and plans for high service times (times of the day, week, year, etc.) in advance in order to minimize the impact felt by the customer.
- Ensures that sales and service interactions are well-balanced across customers (e.g., associates are not spending a majority of time with one or a few customers to the detriment of other customers).
- Monitors the use of store power equipment, ensuring that it operated safely at all times and addressing any violations with associates.
- Maintains a focus on safety, security and shrink prevention by ensuring doors and gates are secured and monitored, signs of shoplifting and theft are reported appropriately, and that steps are taken on a daily basis to maintain inventory and shrink budget integrity.
- Conducts daily safety reviews, noting hazards, keeping store areas clean and organized, and monitoring for potential theft or security risks.
- Spends time on the sales floor watching how sales and service behaviors are impacting customers and uses information to test ideas, provide feedback and training, and adjust approaches.
- Drives continuous service improvement both within and across departments.
- Responds to customer complaints and creates strategies to mitigate those complaints in the future.
- Shares information about sales and service strategies that are working or not working in his/her assigned area for the overall benefit of the store.
Responsibilities Specific to the Specialty Department Supervisor (Including Cabinets, Appliances, Millwork, Flooring Paint, Home Décor)
- Manages inventory, merchandising, sales and customer service activities in assigned departments.
- Ensures a professional sales staff is in place at all times to drive and achieve business goals.
- Teaches and demonstrates effective use of Lowe’s selling and service model.
- Drives execution of Installed Sales, Special Order Sales (SOS), and Pro Sales.
- Identifies gaps in execution and sales opportunities through report analysis, observing sales interactions, role plays, and other feedback channels.
- Partners with Specialty ASM on the creation of specific plans of action to drive improved sales and margin performance.
- Drives accountability of established and communicated sales expectations and goals through the timely coaching and feedback of sales associates.
- Works with leadership, peers and staff in assigned departments, ensuring everyone plays their part in managing the daily sales pipeline and that details, leads, estimates, proposals and customer contacts are properly managed and fully leveraged by sales associates.
- Ensures that sales associates leverage promotions across departments to improve close rates and drive sales.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 3 years of experience in a retail environment OR 5 years of experience in a retail environment.
- 1 year of experience in customer service.
- 1 year of experience supporting the unique needs of Pro customers (for Pro Department Supervisor).
- Experience providing direction or supervision to teams (with or without direct report responsibility).
- Experience supporting or participating in the process of training, mentoring and developing associates.
- Experience working cross-functionally.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to obtain sales related licensure or registration as may be required by law.
- 3 years of retail customer service experience.
- 3 years of experience supporting the unique needs of Pro customers (for Pro Department Supervisor).
- Experience in a leadership role with direct report responsibility.
- Experience working in the home improvement retail sector.
- Experience working in a fast paced, dynamic retail environment.
- Experience in key carrying role with manager-on-duty responsibilities.
- Experience using store computer systems (including but not limited to: Project Tool, Genesis, Sterling, M2O, Thin Client, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lowes.com.