Website City of Davenport
Position Function/Nature of Work:
This is semi-skilled manual work involving the maintenance and repair of City facilities, buildings, infrastructure, and storm water system. Work is performed under the supervision of the Street Superintendent.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching, or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color.
The work is typically performed outdoors, where the employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving part, and cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves.
Essential Duties: The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are logical assignment to the position.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as dump trucks, backhoes, vacuum trucks, rollers, and mini- excavators.
- Performs complex maintenance and repair on the storm water system.
- Provides Maintenance of Traffic (M.O.T.) devices such as arrow boards, cones, and barricades as needed for job tasks.
- Provides support to other departments and agencies.
- Repairs streets, sidewalk, curbing, traffic control devices, and signage of roadways.
- Assists with the training of other service workers as necessary.
- Perform other non-essential duties as required.
- Knowledge of storm water systems.
- Knowledge of street and building construction.
- Knowledge of repair and maintenance techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards.
- Knowledge and ability to operate landscaping equipment and grounds related tools.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees and the public is essential.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least one (1) year experience in street maintenance and repair or similar to the Service Worker I position with the City of Davenport preferred.
Must be willing to work overtime and on-call duty, as determined by the City Manager or the Department Director.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess a valid State of Florida drivers’ license.
- Must possess an honorable military discharge, if applicant has been service connected.
- Must be a United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must pass a physical examination and drug urinalysis test.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony.
This position may be required to report for work when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Polk County.