The Toll Collector position is responsible for accurately classifying vehicles, collecting tolls and providing change to motorists traveling through a toll lane. This position is essentially in an outdoor work environment, subject to weather conditions. Crossing traffic lanes safely requires good mobility, vision and hearing to be alert to traffic conditions. Peak traffic conditions require a high volume of transactions to be processed under demanding conditions. This work impacts the traveling public and as such requires courtesy, efficiency, and professionalism at all times.
***We are seeking candidates that are fully available, including weekends, across 2 shift times (1st/2nd Shifts).
Shifts generally run 6 or 8 hours. Examples of the available shift hours are as follows:
1st Shift – Around 5:00 AM – 1:30 PM
2nd Shift – Around 1:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Pay is $10.00 per hour with the potential for an additional $0.50 per hour!!
Please ask about our Emergency Service Collector position and earn an extra $1.00 per hour. You may qualify!!
- Proficiently operate the Department’s toll collection equipment according to procedure.
- Accurately classify vehicles and collect proper toll amounts from motorists traveling through a toll lane.
- Accurately make change for various U.S. bill denominations in a timely manner, issue receipts to motorists and write insufficient fund slips.
- Accurately complete operational reports reflecting toll lane activity. At end of shift, balance cash and prepare accurate cash deposits on monies collected and tickets received.
- Speak and understand English proficiently to effectively communicate with motorists and respond to inquiries in a courteous, professional and helpful manner.
- Provides on the job training to new hired toll collectors and existing employees when needed.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Required to possess and maintain a current/valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Successfully pass English, Math and Cash Calculation tests.
- Availability to work weekend hours based on business needs.
- Ability to handle high traffic volume quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to safely walk across toll lanes and climb/descend stairs while carrying up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to walk long distances.
- Ability to determine vehicle classification by visual inspection.
- Ability to handle money and make change.
- Ability to determine correct tolls based on a numerical table provided.
- Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to express ideas and concepts clearly.
- Interpersonal communication skills.
- Cash handling experience on a computerized system.
***Final candidates for this position will need to successfully complete drug screening and a background investigation, which may include a criminal and credit check along with DMV.